Home / Government / Libyan Mayor Rules Out Al-Qaeda as Possible Suspect of Kidnapping

Libyan Mayor Rules Out Al-Qaeda as Possible Suspect of Kidnapping

(Author: Libyan Gazette Editorial Staff)

alqaeda

The Canadian ministry of global affairs stated it was aware that a Canadian was kidnapped in southern Libya earlier this week.

“We are aware of the troubling, yet unconfirmed report of the abduction of a Canadian citizen in Libya,” said Michael O’Shaughnessy spokesperson for the ministry. “We are diligently pursuing all appropriate channels.”

Reports indicate that along with the Canadian, two Italians were also abducted. The Italian foreign ministry confirmed the reports but would not give more details.

The abducted were men who worked as engineers in Libya’s southern city Ghat, according to the reports.

Ghat’s Mayor, Koumani Mohammed Saleh, dismissed the possibility that Al-Qaeda was behind the abductions.

According to Saleh the men were taken by a small outlawed group.

Officials are working to secure the release of the abducted men, said Saleh, adding that this incident was “unprecedented” for a city like Ghat.

The Trudeau Government has dealt with similar abduction cases before and said it will not give in to any demands of ransom.

About Admin

Check Also

US Airstrike Campaign in Sirte Has Officially “Concluded”

Photo by Johnathon Ernst/Reuters The United States Defense Secretary Ash Carter announced on Tuesday that …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *