(Author: Libyan Gazette Editorial Staff)
On Wednesday, Prime Minister Fayez Al-Sarraj of the UN-backed Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA) said that no foreign troops are needed to fight Libya’s battle against ISIS.
“We do not need foreign troops on Libyan soil,” Al-Sarraj said.
A Report by the Washington Post published on Tuesday stated that US special operations troops are working with Libyan forces fighting ISIS in Sirte.
“Our men can manage alone once they have cover from the air. I only asked for US airstrikes which must be very precise and limited in time and geographical scope, always carried out in coordination with us,” Al-Sarraj said.
The US airstrikes began last week in aid of GNA forces who have been battling against the extremist group in Sirte since May.
The report also stated that the US was working with British troops who were gathering intelligence and providing it to the Americans who are firing the air strikes.
Al-Sarraj said he “would not be at all surprised to discover that its men hide out on boats” carrying refugees on route to Italy. He warned that ISIS is willing to take any means possible to get “its militants to Italy and Europe.”
In support of the US airstrikes on ISIS in Sirte, Italy has offered the US a military air base and use of Italian air space to launch the airstrikes and intelligence gathering missions.